Safety camera enforcement
There are several different types of safety camera that have been type approved by the Home Office for the enforcement of speeds and red traffic signal violations.
- Fixed spot speed cameras - these are used at sites where collisions were clustered on a shorter length of road and where speeds have been measured and found to be excessive.
- Red light violation cameras - these are used at traffic signal junctions where collisions have been recorded due to vehicles failing to comply with red traffic signals.
- Combined speed and red light violation cameras - these are used at traffic signal junctions where collisions have been recorded due to vehicles failing to comply with red traffic signals and where speeds have been measured and found to be excessive when the signals are on green.
- Average speed cameras - these are typically used on main roads and motorways. They are also used on temporary road works on motorways and major roads when there are road works in order to maintain lower speeds to protect road users and road workers.
- Mobile safety cameras - these are operated by police officers or police staff, usually from within a van positioned at the roadside. This enforcement is usually undertaken where collisions have been scattered over a longer stretch of road and where speeding has been confirmed as a problem. Mobile safety camera enforcement is also undertaken in response to community concerns over speeding.
An important principle of the fixed site safety camera enforcement provided in Surrey is that it is reserved for the very worst collision hotspots where excessive speed or red light violations have been confirmed as a problem. Another important principle is that the enforcement we provide is visible and well signed.
- Safety camera digital upgrade
- Locations of road safety cameras in Surrey, including photos and an explanation of why each camera was installed
- The number of casualties, speeds and penalties at road safety camera sites in Surrey
- Department for Transport publication "Use of Speed and Red Light Cameras for Traffic Enforcement: Guidance on Deployment Visibility and Signing" (pdf)